Director, Drug Product Development (CMC-1042)
AN2 Therapeutics (AN2) is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing novel medicines for patients with rare, orphan infectious diseases that represent significant unmet needs. Founded by a team of experienced industry leaders in infectious disease drug research and development, we strive to provide patients with treatments that will restore their health and enable them to live productive lives. AN2 is a mission-driven company with a passion for improving global public health and a vision to accelerate development of novel medicines to treat serious infectious diseases and save lives worldwide. We believe our company thrives when all employees share this mission.
AN2 is seeking an experienced Director of Drug Product Development to lead formulation development and manufacturing, with a focus on solid oral dosage forms. The individual will play an essential role in cross-functional teams and will be responsible for driving CMC activities related to drug product process & manufacturing development. This position will report to the Vice President of CMC.
- Ensures all formulation development and manufacturing activities for drug products are aligned with AN2's project goals and timelines.
- Works collaboratively with internal stakeholder functions such as Project Management, QA, Clinical, Quality, and Regulatory to meet program goals.
- Represents CMC on development teams. Coordinates seamlessly with CMC colleagues overseeing drug substance and analytical development activities.
- Serves as primary liaison between AN2 and contract drug product manufacturers and clinical labelers.
- Manages all development related activities related to drug product at external vendors, including oversight of formulation development & prototyping, and production of development & clinical batches.
- Reviews all drug product related technical documents, including formulation and process development reports, master batch record documentation, campaign reports, and validation protocols & reports.
- Takes an active role and applies subject matter expertise in establishing phase- appropriate formulation development and manufacturing strategies.
- Implements Quality by Design (QbD) and applies risk-based principles to drug product development programs, including technical & quality risk assessments, Design of Experiments, and identification of critical quality attributes, critical process parameters, and manufacturing control strategies.
- Reviews executed batch record documentation and provides technical oversight for batch release.
- Oversees CMO production deviation & event investigations.
- Manages packaging & labeling of clinical supplies.
- Coordinates logistics with clinical operations to ensure accurate forecasting and timely supply of clinical inventory.
- Ensures all work is conducted in accordance with applicable policies and procedures, CGMP, and regulatory standards & guidelines. Maintains an understanding of global laws & regulations applicable to the pharmaceutical industry.
- Prepares pharmaceutical development reports and other technical documentation required for regulatory submissions including authoring, review, and approval of the requisite sections of IND, CTA, IMPD, NDA, MAA or other filings.
- Assists in the responses to health authority questions.
- Leads and participates in initiatives for improving functional processes and technical operations within CMC.
- Participates in technical audits during vendor selection.
- Functions as person-in-plant as needed during manufacturing campaigns.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree(s) in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemical Engineering, or related discipline with at least 10 years of experience in CMC development in the pharmaceutical industry; or equivalent.
- Significant or majority experience amassed in the development of solid oral dosage forms for small-molecule NCE drugs, including formulation and process development.
- Successful leadership of drug product development and manufacturing activities & timelines.
- Demonstrated experience driving these CMC activities in a virtual pharma business setting through management of external partners and CRO/CMOs.
- Capability to manage budgets, prepare RFPs, review and approve work orders, and liaise with legal and quality departments for MSA and QTA agreements.
- Experienced in production site audits and collaboration with QA representatives for site selection and qualification.
- Excellent awareness & understanding of other stakeholder roles in CMC and drug product development's relationship to them.
- Excellent working knowledge of CGMP, regulatory guidance, and compendial requirements, including FDA, EMA, ICH, WHO, USP-NF and EP.
- Demonstrable experience as a primary author of CMC sections in regulatory filings, such as IND, IMPD, and NDA.
- Excellent technical writing, oral, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent data presentation & analysis skills, including the creation of publication quality tables & graphs.
- Fluent in the Microsoft ecosystem, including Office & SharePoint, and PDF publication & editing software such as Adobe Acrobat. Comfortable with electronic records & digital workflows.
- Fastidiously detail-oriented and organized; impeccable attention to data QC.
- Possesses high integrity and exceptional work ethic.
- Must be flexible and able to multitask, prioritize, meet deadlines in a fast paced environment, and be adaptable to setbacks. Exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Team oriented; ability to work collaboratively with internal colleagues and vendors.
- Understands and anticipates the impact of business and commercial needs on advanced- stage drug development. Distinguishes research from development.
- Some travel required, including both domestic and international (10-20%).
AN2 anticipates that the annual base salary for this position could range from between $215,000 to $230,000 and will depend, in part, on the successful candidate’s credentials for the role, including education, qualifications, and type as well as length of experience. Any offered salary is also based on internal equity, internal salary ranges, market data, and the position’s wage range. Compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. The successful candidate will also be eligible to participate in a performance-based bonus and stock programs, various benefits offerings, including, but not limited to, medical, dental and vision insurance, disability, life insurance, 401k retirement savings plan, and flexible paid vacation.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We consider all qualified applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Our open positions are managed through our Human Resources department. Unsolicited resumes from recruiting agencies, in advance of a specified agreement, will not be accepted. Resumes sent directly to our employees or our consultants from recruiting organizations will also not be accepted as referrals and do not obligate us to pay fees.
Please send your resume to careers@AN2Therapeutics.com and include the job title and CMC-1042 number in the subject.
* AN2 Therapeutics is based in Menlo Park, CA, and employees are currently working a hybrid schedule.